STANLIB Weekly Focus
STANLIB keeps you in touch with the latest investment news:
- Market, economic and investment commentary.
- Unit trust performance updated every week.
- Last week, South Africa’s consumer inflation rate rose by 0.2%m/m, with the annual rate of inflation rising to 6.6%y/y from 6.1%y/y in April 2014 and 6.0%y/y in March 2014.
- For 2013 as a whole, SA CPI inflation averaged 5.8%, up slightly from an average of 5.7% in 2012 and a more subdued 5.0%y/y in 2011 and 4.3% in 2010.
- For 2014, SA inflation is now forecast to average 6.2%, with the current reading of 6.6%y/y a possible peak for the year.
- In Q1 2014, South Africa’s current account deficit improved to -4.5% of GDP, up from -5.1% of GDP in Q4 2013, and -6.4% of GDP in Q3 2013.
- SA’s trade deficit widened to 2.1% of GDP in Q1 2014, from 1.3% of GDP in Q4 2013.